Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Daily at IFC.com


At some point last year, I sang the praises of GreenCine Daily because they offered the best coverage on films on the web bar none.

Well, the driving force behind all of that film link love at GreenCine Daily was a man named David Hudson who, on occasion, showered some link love for articles on my blog. Well, he has been tapped by the
Independent Film Channel to do for them what he did for GreenCine. His new column is called The Daily, and I don’t know anyone else who is as obsessed about film links as David Hudson. You may view him as the greatest resource to film on the web or an evil bastard who finds incredible ways to rob you of your time.

Well, I love him, and I’m grateful he’s around.

Question - why would a screenwriting blog give a shout-out to a column at a film website? Shouldn’t your articles be about, you know, screenwriting? I’ve said before that one major problem I’ve noticed in some aspiring screenwriters I’ve encountered over the years is that they limit their vision by ONLY hanging out with other screenwriters and by ONLY reading screenwriting books and screenwriting magazines. You hurt yourself and your creativity by limiting the information you get about films. Most discussions about films are usually, by extension, discussions about screenwriting and storytelling, too.

When it comes to films, I need to be intellectually fed every day. David does that for me. He will really open your eyes to films in ways you won’t expect, and my hat goes off to him.

Check it out -
The Daily.

-MM

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Would you kindly consider my blog as something for your resource-list?

http://writerofmoviescripts.blogspot.com/

Mystery Man said...

Done! You're in my Screenwriting Blogs sidebar, and I'll be checking in from time to time.

Hope you're well,

-MM

Christian H. said...

I’ve said before that one major problem I’ve noticed in some aspiring screenwriters I’ve encountered over the years is that they limit their vision by ONLY hanging out with other screenwriters and by ONLY reading screenwriting books and screenwriting magazines. You hurt yourself and your creativity by limiting the information you get about films. Most discussions about films are usually, by extension, discussions about screenwriting and storytelling, too.


How true. I think something that all writers should do is look at the trailer for successful movies and unsuccessful movies and determine what elements are common to good MOVIES.

Screenplays suck. The movie is what counts: the visual cues, the auditory cues, the character parallel through action\reaction, etc.

I mean I have heard stories of scripts changing tens of times and still flopping when the movie was made.

I believe that execs need to either get out more or trust the people they hired to get out there for them.

I'd actually rather pitch my blog than any of the several screenplays I've written so far.

Mystery Man said...

"Screenplays suck. The movie is what counts: the visual cues, the auditory cues, the character parallel through action\reaction, etc."

That's hilarious! I agree!